Before I go into the discussion, let me answer yesterday's "Guess Me From Behind" post. Thank you to everyone who commented with guesses, and to those who Tweeted me your thoughts. They were really sweet and greatly appreciated!
I know some of you are dying to know the answer to #2. I cannot believe how hard this one was for everyone.
#1 When It Happens by Susane Colasanti #2 The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross #3 Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols #4 Divergent by Veronica Roth #5 Two * Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt #6 Wither by Lauren DeStefano
With that all cleared up, now on to the discussion.
Oh the book jacket, or dust jacket, dust cover, dust wrapper, or just plain-ol’ jacket. No matter what you call it, the book jacket has the same purpose; always has and always will. It’s that papery, detachable, outer cover on hardback books. Usually, the jacket is adorned with pretty illustrations and full of text about the book and author. We all know them, we all like them, or do we? That today is my discussion. Do we really like book jackets? Really, can we honestly say we love that papery object?
I present my case. The defendant in question is usually fun to be around.
- Exhibit A: Book jackets are usually very pretty. The illustrations, fonts, colors, what-not are eye catching… sometimes shiny. I love shiny!
- Exhibit B: Book jackets are a warmer (duh, it is a jacket!), friendly book protector. Not only are they pretty to look at, but they also keep the book safe while on the shelf.
- Exhibit A: Book jackets never stay on while being read. They slide up and down. They slide from side to side in a most irritating fashion.
- Exhibit B: Book jackets rip and tear easily. Because the material is paper, it’s really hard to keep from damaging the jackets while the books are in use.
- Exhibit C: Book jackets, because of Ex. A and B, are not practical to use while being read. They cause more disruption then they do a good time.
On a scale of: [See below] what is your stance on book jackets?
Place your verdict in the comments below!